About Me

I am a twenty-something approaching life with much happiness, optimism, excitement, and anticipation.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Favorite Things: Summer Foods

I am always looking for fresh and tasty summer cooking ideas. We grill nearly every single night from April to October and it's hard to keep the meals new and interesting. When I think of summer meals I think of salads, sandwiches, and light desserts. We either have pork tenderloin, sausages, cheeseburgers (and we recently tried turkey burgers for the first time...I was pleasantly surprised) or brats grilling most nights.

Chad likes to say he's not picky when it comes to food and maybe he technically isn't, but it's VERY difficult to come up with side dishes that he seems enthusiastic about. I love pasta salad that my mom always makes.

It's so simple, but summery and yummy:

Boil a box of your favorite pasta... we use Rotini because it holds the flavor of veggies and dressing well. After boiling soak in cold water until cool and drain. Mix in a bottle of your favorite Italian dressing (I use Kraft Zesty Italian). Finally, put in your favorite veggies--onions, red and green peppers, or whatever else you can think of. Chill. Soooo good!

One of my favorite loves from summer is also corn on the cob. I recently bought 10 ears for $2 at the grocery store (I'm also super into couponing right now, but that's for an entirely different post). I usually just boil it because it's so easy, but sometimes we grill it. A friend of mine recently told me about microwaving corn in the husks. Has anyone heard of this? She said it's great!

Finally, today I made my favorite summer dessert. My mom always makes this cake in a flag design for the 4th of July.



Break an entire angel food cake up into small pieces and line the bottom of 9x13 inch cake pan. For your next layer mix completely together 1 cup of confectioner's sugar, 1 tub of cool whip, and 1 small tub of plain cream cheese. Let this mixture cool.
Next mix strawberries, blueberries and 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/4 cup water. Mix well. Let this mixture cool.
Once both layers are cool, layer your white cream mixture on top of the cake layer. And then spoon out your fruit mixture on the top. Let cool in the fridge for at least an hour prior to eating.

Enjoy!!

P.S. If anyone has any other ideas for great summer recipes, please post them in a comment below this post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment